'Arsenal aren't too nice anymore': Jamie Redknapp says Gunners have developed a mean streak... after winner against Watford came from them refusing to give the ball back when Danny Rose had kicked it out with a Hornets player down

• Jamie Redknapp said Arsenal have developed a tough edge after 1-0 win
  • Watford were angry Arsenal did not return ball after a foul in build-up to goal  
  • 'Arsenal aren't too nice any more,' Redknapp said on Sky Sports after the game
  • Gunners have won three Premier League games in a row and moved up to fifth

Jamie Redknapp believes Arsenal are no longer the pushovers they are often accused of being.

Arsenal were once among the toughest teams in the Premier League when the likes of Martin Keown and Patrick Vieira would scare the life out of opponents and their hard-nosed approach paid dividends in the late 1990s and early 200s.

They went soft in the latter years under Arsene Wenger and since the Frenchman left but there are signs they are becoming meaner under Mikel Arteta.

Jamie Redknapp pointed out Arsenal have rediscovered their hard edge after beating Watford

Jamie Redknapp pointed out Arsenal have rediscovered their hard edge after beating Watford

Emile Smith Rowe scored the breakthrough goal after Arsenal refused to give the ball back

Emile Smith Rowe scored the breakthrough goal after Arsenal refused to give the ball back to Watford after Danny Rose had kicked it out

A case in point came in Sunday's 1-0 win over Watford when Emile Smith-Rowe scored what proved to be the winning goal after his side had refused to return the ball to the Hornets.

Danny Rose had kicked the ball out so that an injured team-mate could receive treatment but rather than return the ball to their opponents, Arsenal took the ball and went on to score.

'Arsenal aren't too nice any more,' said Redknapp from the Sky Sports studio.  

'You can see [Albert Samba} Lokonga goes in for a foul there. Rose sees his player's down, he kicks the ball out. Normally you would kick the ball back, that's the sporting thing to do. 

'But Arsenal don't, they play on. They take it quickly and they get something from it.'

Watford coach Claudio Ranieri was incensed by the incident, arguing with Arteta at the full-time whistle.

Watford manager Claudio Ranieri remonstrated with Arsenal boss  Mikel Arteta about the incident at the final whistle

Watford manager Claudio Ranieri remonstrated with Arsenal boss  Mikel Arteta about the incident at the final whistle

The Italian also criticised Arsenal's behaviour in his post-match press conference

The Italian also criticised Arsenal's behaviour in his post-match press conference

He also criticised the Gunners' behaviour after the match.  

‘We put out the ball and everybody expected the Arsenal player to give it back. Give the ball to us, we put the ball out because there was an injured player, but after this it was very strange,' said the Italian.

‘My opinion is there was a big foul, but nothing happened and then they scored a goal. It was very strange.’

On his uneasy exchange with Arteta, Ranieri added: ‘I told him there is no respect in that action.’

Arteta felt his side did nothing wrong during the episode. 

Arsenal used to be renowned for being one of the toughest teams in the league, with Martin Keown taking on Ruud van Nistelrooy in the famous 'Battle of Old Trafford' in 2003

Arsenal used to be renowned for being one of the toughest teams in the league, with Martin Keown taking on Ruud van Nistelrooy in the famous 'Battle of Old Trafford' in 2003

Arsenal are in insatiable form, with the Gunners on a 10-game unbeaten run in all competitions

Arsenal are in insatiable form, with the Gunners on a 10-game unbeaten run in all competitions

Arteta's side have really turned things around after losing their first three games of the season

Arteta's side have really turned things around after losing their first three games of the season

‘I have to defend my players, my team and my club. I would say that we are the most honest team and in some stages we can even become naive,' said the Spaniard. 

'But still if he felt like that towards our club, our team, I have to apologise if that’s the case - but I am sure there is no intention to take any advantage.’

The win extended Arsenal’s unbeaten run to 10 games in all competitions.