Jump directly to the content

Arsenal will be hoping to capitalise on defender's fear at the mention of Salah by deploying the Liverpool star's namesake against Leeds tonight.

Gunners boss Mikel Arteta has called up Salah-Eddine, also known as Salah Oulad M’hand or simply 'Salah', for their Carabao Cup round-of-16 tie which will be live on talkSPORT.

Salah has been in fine form for Arsenal's youth side this season
Salah has been in fine form for Arsenal's youth side this seasonCredit: Getty

The 18-year-old is set to start on the bench at the Emirates but will be hoping to get on the pitch following a change in EFL rules in the fourth-round.

Football's governing body has raised the number of substitutions permitted in the Carabao Cup from three to five - increasing youth players chances of featuring.

Arsenal are also light in midfield at the moment with Granit Xhaka out through injury until early next year.

First-team duo Thomas Partey and Albert Sambi Lokonga are expected to be rested with Mohamed Elneny and Ainsley Maitland-Niles left to start.

Salah has already scored four goals from midfield after recovering from injury
Salah has already scored four goals from midfield after recovering from injuryCredit: Getty
The midfielder scored his first professional goal against Newport in the EFL Trophy
The midfielder scored his first professional goal against Newport in the EFL Trophy

A first-team appearance for Salah would cap an incredible start to the season the teenager has made following his recovery from injury.

The midfielder was sidelined for the majority of last term following a stress fracture he suffered near his ankle.

But he has begun this campaign in fine form for the under-23s, scoring four goals from nine games in all competitions.

One of those strikes was a superb free-kick that the Dutch U-17 international whipped in during Arsenal U21's EFL Trophy 4-3 win over Newport.

Predominantly a central midfielder, Salah spent his youth career in the Netherlands before joining Arsenal as a free agent in August 2020.

He rose through the ranks with Robin van Persie's former side Feyenoord but sought pastures new after doubts over his progression to the senior side.

Salah arrived at Arsenal from Robin van Persie's former side Feyenoord
Salah arrived at Arsenal from Robin van Persie's former side FeyenoordCredit: Getty Images - Getty

On completing the move to north London last year, the teenager said: “It feels great to join a massive club like Arsenal.

“It’s a good environment for me to work on my development and hopefully through the academy I can become a first-team player.

“They [Arsenal] first contacted my dad and then I went there for a week just to see what the club is all about, and after that they didn’t really have to say anything.

“I immediately knew that it was the right club for me.”

Topics