Ben White signs new Arsenal contract until 2028

LENS, FRANCE - OCTOBER 03: Ben White of Arsenal looks on during the UEFA Champions League match between RC Lens and Arsenal FC at Stade Bollaert-Delelis on October 03, 2023 in Lens, France. (Photo by Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)
By David Ornstein
Mar 13, 2024

Arsenal defender Ben White has committed his future to the club by signing a new and improved contract until 2028, with the option of a further year.

The 26-year-old was in talks for several months as the north London side worked to finalise a deal that would keep another of their key players at the Emirates Stadium.

Advertisement

Arsenal confirmed The Athletic’s story about White’s new contract in a club statement on Friday morning.

“It’s great news that Ben is committing his future to the club,” manager Mikel Arteta said. “Ben is a key player for us, a top professional with a winning mentality, and one of the guys who leads by example every day.

“Ben’s ability, determination and positive attitude are so important, but he is also a great character and human being. We all look forward to continue working with Ben in the coming years.”

Since his arrival from Brighton & Hove Albion in the summer 2021, White has emerged as a crucial member of manager Mikel Arteta’s first-choice back line. The Englishman’s previous agreement ran until June 2026, so the fresh terms extend that expiry and reward his importance.

“I have been on loan three times, I have been places for a year,” White said. “I think this is the first time I’ve actually settled and known I am not going anywhere in the summer. Being here is unbelievable and I’d love to stay (for more years).”

Following a move worth in the region of £50million (now $64m), White’s quality and consistency has shone through across 121 games in all competitions.

Before joining Arsenal he previously had loan spells at Newport County, Peterborough United and, most notably, Leeds United.

So far this season White has accumulated 39 appearances, helping his side reach the top of the Premier League and the Champions League quarter-finals.

Arsenal are next in action away at Manchester City on March 31.

go-deeper

GO DEEPER

The marginal gains that helped Raya deliver his best moment yet for Arsenal

(Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

Get all-access to exclusive stories.

Subscribe to The Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs. Try a week on us.

David Ornstein

David Ornstein joined The Athletic in October 2019 after 12 years as a sports journalist and correspondent at the BBC. In the role of Football Correspondent, he is responsible for producing exclusive and original stories and interviews, offering unique insight and analysis. He works across video, audio and the written word. Follow David on Twitter @David_Ornstein