Jump directly to the content
ambitious

Mikel Arteta convinced Willian to join Arsenal with plan to win Champions League in three years

Willian revealed that Mikel Arteta is targeting Champions League glory with Arsenal in the next three seasons.

The Brazilian winger signed for the Gunners on a free transfer from London rivals Chelsea this summer.

Willian joined Arsenal on a free transfer from Chelsea
Willian joined Arsenal on a free transfer from Chelsea

Arteta’s ambition helped seal the deal for the 32-year-old as he wants to win the trophy that has so far eluded him.

Willian told The Sun: “One of the reasons I wanted a three-year deal was to be part of a plan, not just a player passing through.

“When I talked with the manager he told me why he needed me for three years.

“It was that he first wanted to qualify for the Champions League and win it by the time I left. That was what I wanted to hear.

“I was at Chelsea for seven years and won everything except the Champions League.

“Hopefully this move will give me the trophy I haven’t got as well as another Premier League title.”

Willian has joined up with his former Chelsea teammate David Luiz
Willian has joined up with his former Chelsea teammate David LuizCredit: Getty Images - Getty

Arsenal were able to offer Willian his desired three-year contract, something Chelsea were reluctant to do.

When asked if he could have achieved his Champions League dream at Stamford Bridge, he said: “Maybe, but everyone knows what the problem was.

“They thought because I was coming to the age of 32 they couldn’t give me a three-year contract.

“I felt I had proved my fitness, that I was as good as ever and that I deserved that deal.

“Frank Lampard wanted me to stay. He was picking me in more games than I’d probably ever started there.

Ray Parlour insists Arsenal have done brilliant business signing Willian - 'It's a great deal'

“Before, I was playing two games then being left on the bench, which I know is part of football, but I was enjoying myself playing more.

“The manager showed a lot of faith in me and I think I repaid it.

“But Arsenal have given me what I wanted and now I will show they have made a good decision.

“My age is no big thing. If you look after yourself, live right and train right, today’s players can still be at top level when they are 35. For me it is not a problem.

“I have a lot to play for with Brazil too and I want to be at the next World Cup.

"If I do well at Arsenal then that will happen.”

Topics