Press conference

Every word from Arteta’s post-Brentford presser

Mikel Arteta celebrates at full-time after Brentford

Mikel Arteta could not hide his delight after his team fought to a narrow victory over Brentford on Saturday.

The manager spoke to the media after our 1-0 win, and was asked about the game, match-winner Kai Havertz, Aaron Ramsdale’s clean sheet and the celebrations.

Here’s a full transcript from his post-match press conference….

On the performance...

[I’m] so happy. I think when you have the opportunity to go top, and you come when winter starts, and it’s cold, and you come to Brentford, it’s a really uncomfortable place to come, I think the team showed so much willingness to compete, to dig in, and to play the game that we have to play to win it. We fully deserved to win the game, I’m so happy.

On if Kai Havertz's goal tonight has more significance than the one against Bournemouth...

Yes, but I think that’s the beauty of it. When things come easy, you don’t value them. If things would have come easier today, he’s [probably] not getting the reception that he got; everybody hugging him and cuddling him, and telling him how much we love him, and it’s for a reason. It’s because of the way he behaves in difficult moments and he’s an example for all of us to do what you have to do when you have difficulties, and he’s a great example for the team, and we cannot be happier that a big player like him wins the game for the team. 

On if we're still working out the balance in our defence and attack...

I hope I am, I hope we can be better and better, and adapt, because as well the reality is that we have lost a lot of players, a lot of attacking players in this first period of the league and the team continues to win, and find ways to win, and today I put on another attacking player as I suspected what they were going to do, and it’s what we needed. Everybody was really good, I think. 

On if Havertz's finish is one of the reasons we signed him...

Yes, absolutely yes. Against this block, and against teams that defend the box like this, you need this type of profile, and he’s exceptional at that. Today he won the game in that action for us.

On if late goals are a sign of resilience in the team...

I’d prefer to score three in the first half, we had some big chances and we got a goal disallowed, but if you don’t, the team needs that resilience, to find a way to win. It shows as well the impact and importance of the finishers, and today they were crucial again.

On Aaron Ramsdale's performance...

This is football, I’m so happy with the team with the way team performed, we kept a clean sheet and we move on. I’m so happy.

On how he grew throughout the game…

Courage, he has big courage and big personality, and that’s why we love him.

On the players congratulating Aaron at the final whistle…

It’s a joy as a manager to watch this reaction. You’ve got the players looking out for each other, encouraging each other, showing love to each other, it doesn’t get any better than that. Today’s my 200th game, and when I see a team that behaves between them like that, and I see the staff’s smiles, I’m so happy and I couldn’t be prouder, and more grateful for everybody that works for us every single day to make my job so enjoyable. 

On Havertz's versatility...

Well first of all, it’s one of his qualities, because a player that can play in different positions needs a lot of qualities to be able to do that. He puts his head down and drives the team, and he needs to do that in any position that I ask of him. He’s not the only one though, I asked Jorginho to play three minutes. I said “Jorgi”, and by the time he’s done that, he’s taken everything and he’s ready to go. It’s just a joy of a team to work with.

On bringing Kai over to the supporters to celebrate…

He fully deserves it, and when you’re there and sometimes you have to face it, he’s done it, he’s faced it, he didn’t hide. So now go and face the beautiful moment because you fully deserve it. I knew he wasn’t going to do that, so I had to push him!

See Full List

Fixtures & Results

Premier League
Ticket Info